• Teen injured when firework explodes in hand, warns July 4th revelers to use caution

    By: Michelle Ewing, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

    Updated:
    SPRINGDALE, Ark. -

    An Arkansas teen is warning Fourth of July revelers to use caution with fireworks after one went off in his hand.

    According to KNWA-TV, Landon Freeman, 18, of Springdale, was playing with fireworks last month when he accidentally put one backward into a mortar tube.

    >> Read more trending news

    That's when it exploded.

    “It was just a bright flash of light, and as soon as it went off I knew that I blew up my hand," Freeman told KNWA.

    Freeman, who was bleeding and unable to feel two of his fingers, was transported by helicopter to a Little Rock hospital, where he had two surgeries during his five-day stay.

    Doctors plan to perform another surgery on Freeman, whose wrist is still shattered, the news outlet reported.

    "Hopefully people can learn from my mistakes," he told KNWA.

    Thousands of people are injured in fireworks-related accidents every year, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

    Read more here.

    Next Up: