In this week's Theme Park Thursday we look at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
The holiday season is in full swing at the theme parks in Central Florida, and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party in the Magic Kingdom is an iconic way to celebrate the holiday season in the Most Magical Place on Earth.
What is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party?
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, a special hard ticketed event not included with regular theme park admission, takes place in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World on December 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, and 22, 2017.
During Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party guests have the chance to meet with some of their favorite Disney friends in their holiday finest, enjoy holiday entertainment, exclusive fireworks, a high-energy parade, complimentary treats throughout the park, and more topped off with a 'snowfall' on Main Street U.S.A.
Complimentary Holiday Treats
Let's talk about those complimentary treats you can find during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, because it is more than just hot cocoa and sugar cookies!
Throughout the Magic Kingdom there are seven locations, marked with a giant inflatable candy stick, offering a wide variety of holiday treats until midnight.
- Tortuga Tavern (Adventureland): Snowman Soft Pretzel and Blue Sno-Cone
- Liberty Square Ticket Office (Liberty Square): Ginger Molasses Cookie and Eggnog
- Pete's Silly Sideshow (Storybook Circus): Peppermint Crunch Cookie and Nesquik Chocolate Milk
- Pinocchio Village Haus (Fantasyland): A variety of Holiday Favorite cookies and Hot Chocolate & Apple Cider
- The Friar's Nook (Fantasyland): Variety of DOVE Chocolate and Sparkling Apple Cider
- Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe (Tomorrowland): Snickerdoodle Cookie and Hot Chocolate
- Auntie Gravity's Galactic Goodies (Tomorrowland): Santa Claus Cookie and Blue Sno-Cone
My favorite stops were Tortuga Tavern fro the Snowman Soft Pretzel and Pinocchio Village Haus for the cookie variety.
If you have dietary concerns, there are allergy-friendly and alternative healthy options available upon request at each location.
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Entertainment
Another huge part of the celebration is the event exclusive holiday entertainment, and this year the returning favorites are fantastic!
- Mickey’s Most Merriest Celebration: Mickey and his pals invite some of their friends over for an unforgettable Christmas party filled with music, dancing, color and fun on the Cinderella Castle Forecourt Stage! The celebration features medleys of delightful holiday songs both classic and contemporary, along with special effects, magical projections and beloved Disney characters including Woody and Jessie from “Toy Story,” Fantasyland friends such as Peter Pan and Snow White.
- A Frozen Holiday Wish: Arendelle royalty and their lovable snowman visit Magic Kingdom Park to help everyone feel the wintry chill in the air and love in their hearts. “A Frozen Holiday Wish,” presented on the Castle Forecourt Stage, features Anna, Elsa, Olaf and Kristoff. As a gift to the kingdom, Elsa lets it go and uses her icy powers to transform Cinderella Castle into a sparkling palace of ice. (Keep in mind that this only happens once a night during the party, but will happen before the party officially begins if you arrive early)
- “A Totally Tomorrowland Christmas”: Buzz Lightyear, Mike Wazowski and Stitch join host Haley Comet for an intergalactic musical revue on the Rockettower Plaza Stage. The show is full of modern twists on classic holiday songs and the coolest dance numbers in town!
- VoicePlay: Hear some of your favorite holiday favorites on the Rockettower Plaza Stage from the acapella group VoicePlay, known for their performances on 'The Sing Off'.
- Club Tinsel: located inside Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café in Tomorrowland, becomes the coolest place to get down with a DJ and some North Pole pals in the cheeriest dance party this side of Santa’s Workshop!
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade
Stepping off in Frontierland, the Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade fills the streets of the Magic Kingdom with holiday fun and cheer featuring some of your favorite Disney characters, iconic marching soldiers & prancing reindeer, and ending with the big guy himself.
The Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade happens twice during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, and typically the second parade is less crowded.
Holiday Wishes Fireworks – Celebrate the Spirit of the Season
Holiday Wishes Fireworks – Celebrate the Spirit of the Season is the holiday nighttime fireworks and pyrotechnic spectacular that lights up the skies above Cinderella Castle that is set to some familiar and favorite holiday songs with touches of Disney magic.
PLEASE keep in mind that this only happens once during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, so if this is a priority make sure you keep track of the time. The best viewing areas are in front of Cinderella Castle, and while getting there early is still a good idea it isn't a necessity.
Special Disney Character Appearances
Throughout the Magic Kingdom you can find characters, their locations are marked on the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party maps with a Mickey Mouse silhouette and in the My Disney Experience app, during the party that are exclusive to the event.
- Main Street U.S.A.: Santa Claus and Mickey Mouse
- Adventureland: Aladdin, Jasmine, Genie and Abu, Captain Jack Sparrow, Moana, and Peter Pan
- Frontierland: The Country Bears
- Liberty Square: Sandy Claws aka Jack Skellington
- Fantasyland: Ariel & Prince Eric, Rapunzel & Flynn, Cinderella & Prince Charming, Belle, Pooh & Friends, Seven Dwarfs, Snow White & Prince, Aurora & Prince Phillip, Elena of Avalor, Minnie Mouse, Scrooge McDuck, Donald & Daisy, Santa Goofy, Mary Poppins & Bert, and Tiana & Naveen.
- Tomorrowland: Nick Wilde & Judy Hopps
It's important to know that these appearances can change at any time, so make sure you talk to the Cast Members around the entrances to the lines to make sure you are in the correct place.
It wouldn't be a special event at Walt Disney World without exclusive event merchandise that includes everything from ornaments to MagicBand, and this year the merchandise has a really fun retro vibe.
Here is where you can find this year's offerings:
- Emporium (Main Street U.S.A.) - Event Apparel, Ornaments, Trading Pins, and MagicBand
- Big Top Souvenirs (Storybook Circus) - Event Apparel, Trading Pins, and MagicBand
- Mickey's Star Traders (Tomorrowland) - Event Apparel, Ornaments, and Trading Logo Pin
- Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe (Liberty Square) - Event Apparel, Ornaments, and Trading Logo Pin
- Fantasy Faire (Fantasyland) - Event Apparel, Ornaments, and Trading Logo Pin
- Frontier Trading Post (Frontierland) - Trading Pins and MagicBand
There is also Walt Disney World Annual Passholder exclusive merchandise that is available at these locations as well. To purchase these you will need your Walt Disney World Annual Pass and photo id.
Tips for attending Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
Since the tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party are a splurge for most, here are some of my best tips for making the most of your time at the celebration:
- While the party officially starts at 7 pm, you can enter the park with your Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party ticket starting at 4 pm.
- A lot of the entertainment happens around the hub in front of Cinderella Castle, so if catching as many of those as you can is a priority consider grabbing a spot that allows you to see several of the offerings at once.
- Little ones getting restless? Head over to Club Tinsel, inside of Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe, where they can dance with holiday friends and get out some energy.
- There are several attractions opens throughout the park during Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, but if rides aren't your priority I still recommend taking a spin on the Jingle Cruise.
- When you are entering the Magic Kingdom, make sure to grab a Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party event map...in fact grab more than one since you will be referencing it often during the celebration.
- If you see merchandise or event specific treats you really want to purchase...do it! As the night goes on, lines can get longer and/or you may find yourself on the other side of the park from where you'll find your treat.
- Don't forget to pick up your Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party exclusive Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom card from the Firehouse on Main Street U.S.A.
- After the fireworks, a sizable portion of the attendees at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party will leave the park so this is also a great time to ride attractions that have significant waits during normal theme park hours.
Purchasing Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Tickets
Ticket pricing for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party varies by date and range in price from $91 to $109 plus tax for adults (ages 10 and up), $86 to $104 plus tax for children (ages 3-9), and children under 2 are free.
You will save some by purchasing your tickets in advance, and there are select dates that have discounts for Walt Disney World Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club owners.
As with any & every purchase, I only suggest buying tickets directly from Walt Disney World by using their website or by calling (407) 939-5277. Don't take the chance that what you purchase is a lump of coal!
© 2017 Cox Media Group.